It’s May, so that diet you vowed to follow in January may be long forgotten by now. If not, good for you! For others, keeping things like sugar in moderation is a must if eating out with diabetes or similar conditions. For those of you wanting to eat out lighter fare so you can look good on the beach this summer or feel healthier, we offer this guide to how to eat healthy at Chattanooga Mexican Restaurants.
Most people don’t ordinarily think of Mexican as healthy because, sure, those foods fried or covered in cheese or creamy sauces taste sinfully good. But think about all of the fresh vegetables and fruit. When a group of friends tries to figure out where they can meet up for dinner that will work for the vegetarian in the bunch, Mexican restaurants offer some of the more appealing options for everyone. You can eat healthy without feeling like you’re eating cardboard because Mexican food is packed with flavor! Amigos even offers up a dedicated Vegetarian menu that lets you create your own veggie plate!
Your nutritionist would be proud of you for ordering the Veggie Fajitas with sautéed zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, and mushroom. We serve it with three flour tortillas, rice, refried beans and salad with lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, and tomatoes.
The experts say the healthiest Mexican menu options include grilled chicken dishes, which we offer in our tacos, burritos, enchiladas, grilled chimi, la tapatia, Pollo Jalisco, and more. The shredded chicken in our Flautas comes sautéed with bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions. The Carne Asada is another excellent entrée choice including grilled meats.
Other healthier options at a Mexican restaurant could include Tamales, Gazpacho ( a tomato based soup traditionally served cold), grilled seafood-based dishes, salsa and picante sauce, soft tacos with chicken or beef, fish tacos, or chile con carne (minus cheese and chips).
Assembling foods like a chicken fajita yourself gives you greater control of the portions and the ability to add more veggies.
Black beans work great for dieters, low in fat, high in protein and providing plenty of fiber. Pinto beans and grilled vegetables also work great as a substitute for refried beans or white rice. Corn tortillas contain fewer carbs and calories than wheat tortillas. You’ll want to enjoy other foods in moderation, including cheese, chips, sour cream, and nachos. Guacamole adds a similar creaminess to cheese and sour cream but is better for you. Pico de gallo may be available as a substitute for sour cream or melted cheese. Save the deep-fried options for special occasions.
If craving an appetizer, make sure it’s something everyone at the table will share.
Load up on veggies, especially extra lettuce.
Browse the menu on our website before arriving. It’s easier to make healthy choices when you aren’t hungry or distracted by conversations.
You can also control portion sizes and take any part of your meal that you don’t finish to save for left-overs. Remember that beer carbs vary from brand to brand, so choose wisely. Ask your bartender to substitute a piece of fruit in place of sugar and choose tequila on the rocks if you want to avoid the sweets. Or remember that a lighter meal leaves room for margaritas!
Save the dessert as a treat to reward yourself for meeting your goals.
So, what do margaritas and tortilla chips have in common? Aside from being a delicious gift from the Heavens…. Yep, you guessed it – SALT! Not only that, but they also share the same National Food & Drink Week – this week! (All the more reason to eat at Amigo’s, right??!) In homage of this Mexican, flavor-filled week, here are 5 reasons to come to Amigo Mexican Restaurant looking for your lost shaker of salt.
1. Two for One Margs. To share or not to share? You decide. Get two margaritas for the price of one during happy hour, everyday. Flavored, traditional, frozen, or on the rocks, you can’t go beat an Amigo’s margarita. Call your favorite location for specific times and prices.
2. All the Dips. Consider the tortilla chip your edible spoon for delicious, freshly prepared dips. We’re talkin’ guac, queso, bean, spinach, and Amigo dip! Heck, order all 5 and double dip, we’re not judging.
3. Salt = Healthy. Studies have shown that an adequate amount of sodium actually encourages a healthy weight and fast metabolism. With that said, bring on the bottomless chips! And can we get an amen for the extra salt rimmed margarita?! Amen.
4. On a Budget? No Problem. There’s no denying that everyone needs authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex in their life (cough... a couple of times a week, at minimum). We can also agree that there’s no need in spending a fortune to enjoy it either. Join us for a budget-friendly fiesta today!
5. Make it an Amigo Fiesta! Bring a friend and stop in for some gooey queso goodness, kickin’ margaritas, warm tortillas, fresh chips and salsa, and authentic Mexican food that can’t be beat.